Pages

Thursday, March 2, 2017

Book Blogger: Caraval by Stephanie Garber

Yeah, it's time for another book review, today we are going to Caraval...don't forget it's just a game!


Caraval by Stephanie Garber

27883214

Scarlett has never left her tiny island where she and her sister, Tella, lived with their cruel father.  Now that her father has arranged a marriage for her, and Scarlett thinks her dream of seeing Caraval, the far-away, once-a-year performance where the audience participates in the show, are over.

But his year, Scarlett's long-dreamt of invitation finally arrives.  With the help of a mysterious sailor, Tella whisks Scarlett away to the show.  Only, as soon as they arrive, Tella is kidnapped by Caraval's mastermind organizer, Legend.  It turns out that this season's Caraval revolves around Tella, and whoever finds her first is the winner.

Scarlett has been told that everything that happens during Caraval is only an elaborate performance.  But nevertheless becomes enmeshed in a game of love, heartbreak, and magic with the other players in the game.  And whether Caraval is real or not, she must find Tella before the five nights of the game are over, a dangerous domino effect of consequences is set off, and her sister disappears forever.

I had heard so many great things about this book and so much hype that I just needed to go and buy it and I did.  This is the first book about circus that I read and it was something else for sure, I did enjoy it but it didn't blow my mind per say.  But I will read the next book, because the ending?  I seriously think was the best part of the book.

So we have Scarlett, that was dying to go to Caraval and be away from her cruel father that whenever either her or her sister did something wrong would punish them.  But when the opportunity came, she started to have second thoughts because now she was engaged to someone she never met and thought that was her ticket to a better life.  Uh, that aggravated me so much, because throughout most of the book she kept mentioning her engagement to this count and how she didn't want to miss out on that opportunity and bla bla bla bla...Caraval was her dream so live it, right?

Now Tessa, the little that we saw of her in the beginning and the end of the book?  She is freaking amazing, I want the second book to be all about her, I really think she is a fun, badass character, someone who is scared to throw anything away to fight for what she wants and what she believes.  She proved that by going to Caraval and doing what she did while there.  Totally an amazing character, I felt like I connected more to her than Scarlett.

Julian in the other hand was totally worth following throughout the book, he pushed Scarlett to believe in herself and in the magic of Caraval.  And most importantly he is hot :)

Now Caraval, a real cool idea, but would I participate?  Heck no, I'm way to chicken for a game like that.  But I would probably be one of the spectators, yeah totally.

I gave this book 4 out 5 stars.  Have you read it yet?

XOXO,

Nelia


No comments:

Post a Comment