Pages

Monday, March 6, 2017

Book Review: Graphic Novels and Novellas 2017-1

One of the things that I want to do in 2017 is finish series and by finish series I mean also reading the novellas that are part of these series and I have actually been doing pretty good so far, but it's the beginning of the year so...let's just keep my fingers crossed that I will continue doing good for the remaining of the year too. :)

Here are the Novellas and also the Graphic Novels that I have been reading so far:

First up is all the Novellas for The Orphan Queen Duology and yes I read the 4 of them that are out and I'm officially done with this series but also sad :( it's over...

1. The Hidden Prince by Jodi Meadows: 4 Stars
22909758

2. The Glowing Knight by Jodi Meadows: 5 Stars
22909806

3. The Burning Hand by Jodi Meadows: 4 Stars
22909812

4. The Black Knife by Jodi Meadows: 5 Stars
22909818

During the 4 Novellas we follow Tobias as he starts to become the Black Knife, he is a young Prince and he starts to realize that there is something wrong with someone from his dad's court and he starts to investigate.  And is during his investigation that he realizes the his city needs him, more than been a prince and he takes action into his own hands.  I loved these novellas, in them we met Meredith and in them we also saw when Tobias met the nameless girl too.  So, so good.  Totally recommend.  Rated individually at the top.


I also read the 3 little Novellas  that are out for The Wrath and the Dawn and of course I LOVED them but it left me craving for more of it, I just wished that they were a lot longer than they were.

5. The Moth and the Flame by Renee Ahdieh: 4 Stars.

28796105
In this one we get to meet Despina and Jalal and Oh my the beginning of their love story is totally worth reading about it :)  And in this one you also get to meet the first wife of our Khalid.


6. The Mirror and the Maze by Renee Ahdieh: 4 Stars


28668275
In this one we see Khalid seeing his city burning and him rushing back to defend his city and try to safe his queen.  But he is too late for both.  And in this novella you get too see his fears about losing his love.  Ah Khalid, I already had a soft spot for you and now? Even more, more, more, more...

7. The Crown and the Arrow by Renee Ahdie: 4.5 Stars

28574935
My favorite of the Novellas because in this one we get to see Khalid getting ready to marry Shah and Oh My, he is getting ready as he did before with all the others but when he finds out about her and then sees her?  Yeah, everything changes.  I loved to be able to look into his mind.  I just wish that this novella was a little bit longer.


And now on to the Graphic Novels that I have read:

8. Rat Queens Volume 2 by Kurtis J. Wiebe: 4 Stars

23012877
The Rat Queens are back and of course lots of action as they are asked to go into another adventure to destroy another cruel enemy.  And Dee?  She was so freaking amazing in this Volume.  And the art?  My favorite so far, but I also heard that they changed Illustrators in the next issue and that's freaking me out because of the reason that I love this GN is because of how amazing the art is.  We will see.


9. The Last Council (Amulet #4) by Kazu Kibuishi: 5 Stars

19522953
This GN is getting better book after book, Emily and her friends are in Cielis and they think they will get the help they need there but something is wrong, very, very wrong.  Emily goes to the Academy, and she is expected to compete to get a spot on the Guardian Council.  Her friends are in town and the townspeople (the few around) tell them the secret of Cielis and they rush to help Emily.  While Emily is competing she also finds out that the competitors numbers are getting smaller and a terrible secret is slowly uncovered.  A secret that can destroy everything that Emily has been fighting for.

This Volume was amazing, once I started reading I couldn't put it down, I was done way to quick lol.  Loved it.

10. The Prince of the Elves (Amulet #5) by Kazu Kibuishi: 5 Stars

19523262
Emily survived the Academy but Max stole the Mother Stone and the worse is that with it, the Elf King forges new Amulets that will give him the power to invade and destroy the nation of Windsor.  Emily and her friends lead the soldiers of Cielis Guard in a fight to stop him, but Max is on their way.  She also discovers something about the voice of her own amulet that she never thought possible.
In this issue we get to find out more about the prince of the elves, what he believes and what he fights for and by the end of the issue you will have a totally different view of him.  Ah, I loved this one so much,

11. Escape from Lucien (Amulet #6) by Kazu Kibuishi: 4 Stars

20578979

In this volume we get to see more of Navin as he and his classmates go to Lucien, a city ravaged by war and plagued by mysterious creatures.  There they search for a beacon essential to fight against the Elf King, they also encounter an underground city filled with people hiding from the war.

Meanwhile Emily heads back into the Void with Max, where she learns his darkest secrets.

We learn really important things in this Volume in the fight against the Elf King, not much action but still a really amazing volume.  4 out of 5 stars.

12. Firelight (Amulet #7) by Kazy Kibuishi: 5 Stars

26252640

Emily, Trellis and Vigo visit Algos Island where they can access and enter lost memories.  There they are hoping to learn more about Trellis childhood, therefore learning something that they can use against the Elf King.  But what they discover is a dark, dark secret that changes EVERYTHING.  And Emily's Amulet is getting stronger and threatening to overtake her completely.

This volume was the best so far, you start reading thinking you are going to find out something interesting at Algos Island but the end?  The end of this volume is everything, it will leave you craving for so much more...I cannot wait for the next volume.  5 out of 5 stars for sure.


And these are all my current Graphic Novels and novellas that I have read so far in 2017.  Have you read any of them?  I totally recommend reading the Amulet GN series, it is amazing.  And of course if you haven't read The Wrath and the Dawn you are totally missing out and I totally recommend The Orphan Queen duology too. So...what are you waiting, go and read them.


XOXO,

Nelia



No comments:

Post a Comment