Pages

Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Book Review: Brown Girl Dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson

One thing that I have been doing this year and that I want to continue doing with my reading is to read more diverse books, I love that I'm participating on the Diverse Challenge, CLICK HERE to learn more about all the reading challenges that I'm participating this year.  But back to this post, because I'm participating on these challenges and reading more diverse books, I came across this one, and I had read about this book before and it was on radar to read but who knows when I would read it.  I'm so glad that I have picked it up and read it already.

Let's jump in to the review:

Brown Girl Dreaming

20821284

Jacqueline Woodson tells the moving story of her childhood in mesmerizing verse.

Jacqueline was raised in South Caroline and New York, she always felt halfway home in each place.  In this book she tells her childhood story in what was like to grow up as an African American in the 1960s and 1970s, specially with the Civil Rights movements.

The book is told in verses and beautiful poems, some that you read and reread over and over again, right after you read because that's how beautiful they are written.  Each poem is emotionally charged and gets to you right away, it takes you to that moment, to fifty years ago, to that child, to what that child was feeling and feel those emotions with her.  You cheer with her, you cry with her and you support her all throughout this book.  This book opens your eyes to family, to friendship, to society back them and today too.  This book pretty much tells us to not forget what happened back them and to always believe in the power of the people.

5 out 5 stars and this book goes into my favorites list for sure and to my rereads list definitely. Read it if you haven't.

XOXO,

Nelia

No comments:

Post a Comment