Pages

Thursday, June 25, 2015

Book Review: Shadow Scales Rachel Hartman

Book Review time and today's book is the sequel to Seraphina which I reviewed earlier this week.  So, who's ready for the review, but just as a disclaimer: SPOILERS.  If you haven't read the first book, please don't read this review and read the first book first.  But you can read my free spoilers review for Seraphina above.

Let's start the show:

Shadow Scales by Rachel Hartman



In the Kingdom of Goredd, both humans and dragons live side by side, some happy about it, others not so happy about it.  And then there are those few who are both human and dragon who must hide the truth.   Seraphina is one of them, half human, half dragon, who is also drawn into the politics of her world and not by choice but she also doesn't regret, because she would do anything to help her kingdom.

The second book picks up exactly where the first one left out: war has break out between human and dragons.  Seraphina is asked to travel the lands to find those like herself (she is asked to do that as she has an inexplicable connection to all of them) so that together they may be able to fight the dragons in powerful, magical ways.

As Seraphina travels, she meets humans who are against half dragons and want to stop her, but the most terrifying of all is this one half dragon, who creeps into other people's minds and take them over.  Seraphina starts to learn more about her kind and herself too.  She has learned that as a child she learned how to block other people into entering her mind, but now she is learning that also means she's held back her own gift.

Now she has an important decision to make, one that could save not only her life but many people's lives.  Will she do it?  Or will she still hold back?

Well, you will have to read it to find out.  Rachel Hartman, did it again with this book, the world build up was magnificent again, you got a map (Thank You Very  Much) and everywhere Seraphina traveled, it was described perfectly.  The characters?  Where should I even start, so many introduced in this book and you get to know each of them so deep and you get to connect to each of them individually.  But of course I did have a couple favorites, who doesn't, right?  Abdo was the cutest.  The history was there again, which is a plus again.  Seraphina been the hero, I am all for it and I kind of liked the way the war was ended and all and I'm glad the evil was destroyed and period, that's all I'm going to say about it.

Now, let's talk about the romance, or should I say: lack of?  And the reason I didn't give this book a 5 star rating?  The end was another reason for the 4 star rating and I think many people agree with me.  Kiggs, come on...seriously?  And Seraphina how could you agree with that?  I don't want to spoil the ending, so that's all I'm going to say about it.  And Orma, I cannot believe what Rachel this to this character, that was SAD and I'm still upset about it.  I love Orma.

I'm going to end my review on that note, I did really enjoy the book and would read it again in a heartbeat and totally recommend to anyone who loves reading a good book about dragons.  Seraphina was my first book about dragons and I'm so glad that I started with it, now I'm ready to move on the next dragon adventure.  4 out of 5 stars.

XOXO,

Nelia


No comments:

Post a Comment