Pages

Wednesday, December 16, 2015

The Queen of the Tearling by Erika Johansen

Hi all, welcome back for another book review...it feels good to be doing a couple reviews a week again.  And with the end of year almost here (I know, I know...I shouldn't have mentioned), I have realized that I'm not going to review all the books that I read in 2015, crazy.  But on the other hand, I have actually accomplished my GoodReads challenge for this year. YEAH, Wahoo...I have read over 100 books, I feel accomplished and really happy.  I'm continuing to read, of course, I mean why would I stop, right?  Now the question is: How many books should I read next year? 

Ok, now let's get to today's review:

The Queen of the Tearling by Erika Johansen



This book follows Princess Kelsea Raleigh Glynn on her nineteenth birthday, she was raised in exile and now it's time for her to go back to the castle and claim her throne.  But it won't be an easy journey, that's for sure.  Kelsea, was raised loving books and learning and bears little resemblance to her mother, the frivolous Queen Elyssa.  But, don't mistake her for that, because she is not defenseless, inexperience but around her neck hangs the Tearling sapphire, a jewel of immense magical power and also accompanying her is the Queen's Guard, brave knights led by enigmatic and dedicated Lazarus.  Kelsea soon realizes that she will need all of them to survive a cabal of enemies who will use every weapon they have (from assassins to the darkest blood magic) to prevent her from wearing the crown.

Despite her royal blood, Kelsea feels like nothing so much as an insecure girl, and now she has to lead all these people and a kingdom of which she knows almost nothing about. Once she gets to the capital she soon learns horrors that she never thought possible, her kingdom is not what she imagine it would be and she starts to make amendments right away, making most of her people love her right away; while scaring others, because of the tyrannical ruler of the neighbor county: Mortmesne and their ruler; the Red Queen.  The Red Queen is possessed of the darkest magic and she has made people's lives miserable for years, including Kelsea's kingdom until a treaty was made, but one that is not what Kelsea wants for her people and now that she is back, she is ready to fight and re negotiate with this Red Queen.

But Kelsea doesn't just have to worry about the Red Queen, she soon learns that she also has to worry about her own servants and aristocracy and her own guard, because she cannot trust everyone there, there is always someone around the corner willing to kill her.

This book is filled with politics and self discovery and loyalty and the more I read?  The more I wanted to read.  I can't wait to read the next book, if you haven't read this book yet, I totally recommend it, and be prepared because it's not a short book, it's a long an amazing book.  I gave this book 5 out of 5 stars and would give more if I could :)

And that will do for my review today.

XOXO,

Nelia

No comments:

Post a Comment