Pages

Thursday, October 11, 2018

Book Review: A Spark of Light by Jodi Picoult

Oh yeah, still doing pretty good over here, this is my third review, I do have to leave in an hour to go to work so let's see if I can do this one and maybe one more before I leave but I'm feeling good that I'm doing all of these reviews!!!! YEAH

And this one is a good one, so buckle up and let's jump right in...


A Spark of Light by Jodi Picout

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/39072210-a-spark-of-light

From GoodReads:
The warm fall day starts like any other at the Center—a women’s reproductive health services clinic—its staff offering care to anyone who passes through its doors. Then, in late morning, a desperate and distraught gunman bursts in and opens fire, taking all inside hostage.

After rushing to the scene, Hugh McElroy, a police hostage negotiator, sets up a perimeter and begins making a plan to communicate with the gunman. As his phone vibrates with incoming text messages he glances at it and, to his horror, finds out that his fifteen-year-old daughter, Wren, is inside the clinic.

But Wren is not alone. She will share the next and tensest few hours of her young life with a cast of unforgettable characters: A nurse who calms her own panic in order save the life of a wounded woman. A doctor who does his work not in spite of his faith but because of it, and who will find that faith tested as never before. A pro-life protester disguised as a patient, who now stands in the cross hairs of the same rage she herself has felt. A young woman who has come to terminate her pregnancy. And the disturbed individual himself, vowing to be heard.

Told in a daring and enthralling narrative structure that counts backward through the hours of the standoff, this is a story that traces its way back to what brought each of these very different individuals to the same place on this fateful day.

Jodi Picoult—one of the most fearless writers of our time—tackles a complicated issue in this gripping and nuanced novel. How do we balance the rights of pregnant women with the rights of the unborn they carry? What does it mean to be a good parent? A Spark of Light will inspire debate, conversation . . . and, hopefully, understanding.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Confession first; this is my first Jodi Picoult book, I have hear about a lot of her books, but I think I was just too intimidated by her books.  Usually when books or authors get too much hype I stay away, don't ask why, I'm just too afraid that I will not like the book or the author and them I will be that odd person that doesn't like the book and everyone will hate me.  At the end?  I will usually fall in love with the author/book and feel stupid and ask why the heck it took me to long to read it.  This is  the case with Jodi Picoult and I finally decided it to give it a try and why?  Because Netgalley had her latest book there and I would maybe have the chance to read before it would be too hyped about it.  And OH MAN, am I glad that I jumped at the chance.  I got approved for the arc and I read it before it came out and I freaking love it.  The topic was not one that you read everyday which made me love the author even more.  Let's get to it.

The whole book takes place in one single day, yes you heard it right.  It starts at one time and then the time will rewind to the beginning of the day and you get to find out what is going on inside the women's center.  One thing you need to know is that the book has not one, not two but lots of POVs.  You even get the POV of the shooter and of his daughter that is not even present at the women's center.   Yes, it can be confusing at times, because one thing you have to continue to remember is when one POV is over the next one will start from one hour prior to that one which there were a few times that I was like wait, what time is it again?  

You will start this book and will not be able to put it down because you will want to find out what let this person to do what he is doing and what will happen to these hostages, will they survive?  And then you to hear about each of these people's lives and choices they are making or made and about women's rights and what some people, even doctor's go through in order to protect them.  

A really powerful and intense story and one that should be read all over no matter your point of view.

5 out of 5 stars!

XOXO,

Nelia

No comments:

Post a Comment