Pages

Saturday, October 27, 2018

Book Review: Emma in the Night by Wendy Walker

I admit that I'm not a big fan of thriller/mystery books, not because I don't love them but maybe because I have a hard time finding good ones that really intrigue me.  My favorite to date: Gone Girl, it was creepy, kept me on the edge of my seat and that freaking woman was weirdly, mean and amazing at planning all of that, I read Gone Girl in less that 24 hours, yeah it was that good for me.  Since then?  I tend to compare every book to it, so that may be the problem.  I have had the next book in my TBR from NetGalley in a very long, long time so it was about time that I got to it and I did, I finished reading it last week and here is my review:

Emma in the Night by Wendy Walker

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/33574211-emma-in-the-night


From Goodreads:
One night three years ago, the Tanner sisters disappeared: fifteen-year-old Cass and seventeen-year-old Emma. Three years later, Cass returns, without her sister Emma. Her story is one of kidnapping and betrayal, of a mysterious island where the two were held. But to forensic psychiatrist Dr. Abby Winter, something doesn't add up. Looking deep within this dysfunctional family Dr. Winter uncovers a life where boundaries were violated and a narcissistic parent held sway. And where one sister's return might just be the beginning of the crime.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of the things that I like was how little Goodreads gave away about the book, there is two sisters that disappeared and then three years later one of them, Cass, returns without Emma.  When Cass returns, she starts telling this really detailed story about the how her Emma planned their disappearance and how they had this help from these people and how they were then taken to this mysterious island where the two of them were held for almost three years.  The problem?  Dr. Abby Winter, a forensic psychiatrist, who has been involved on their disappearance isn't quite convince of all the story, there is just something that is not adding up and she needs to look more deeply into Cass's dysfunctional family to find out the truth and looking she will.

Dr. Winter starts to dig deeper and deeper and she starts to believe Cass's mom is a narcissist and more and more secrets are hidden and even though she doesn't believe all of Cass's story she does believe that Cass is probably leading them to a dangerous territory, even the possibility of crime.

When you start reading and get to know Cass and her story you get to wrapped up on the story that she is telling that by the end of the book you don't even realize where she was leading you and that?  That was really well done, I wasn't expecting the twist and it was good and it kept me guessing throughout the book, there were times that I thought Cass wasn't herself anymore, many she was really going crazy.  I really don't want to give too much away but be ready for a few twists along the way for sure.  

I really enjoyed this one, 4 out of 5 stars.

XOXO,

Nelia

No comments:

Post a Comment