Pages

Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Book Review: One Last Second by Sam Vickery

This book was deep and scary and so many feelings...a read that you'll not forget.


One Last Second by Sam Vickery

53493201


************
What if your child was dying and no one believed you?


I never expected to be doubted, but if I can't make them believe me, what then? I sit here beside her stroking her tiny hands as she sleeps and she looks so perfect. It never crossed my mind that something would be wrong with my sweet girl and I’d be powerless to do anything to help her.

When Madeline's six-year-old daughter Tilly collapses one Sunday night, Madeline’s world is turned upside down. Racing to the hospital, she imagines the worst scenarios in her mind, but when they arrive the doctors say that Tilly is fine.

Madeline’s ex-husband Adam and her best friend Laura think Madeline is being overprotective, that Tilly fainted because of her fussy eating. But Madeline is sure something is seriously wrong with Tilly. She can feel it. And she believes that a mother’s instinct is never wrong.

As Madeline embarks on a desperate journey to have Tilly re-diagnosed, taking her in and out of hospital, Adam and Laura begin to wonder if Tilly would be safer in Adam’s care. Madeline just wants to keep her daughter safe, but the harder she pushes the closer she comes to losing her…


One Last Second is an emotional reminder of just how far a mother will go to protect her child. Readers of Jodi Picoult, Diane Chamberlain and Kate Hewitt will never be able to forget this heartbreaking and beautiful story.
*************


This book is hard to read, it will reach for your heart and squeeze it and then tear it out and then put it back in like nothing happened.  Man, was it painful to read it, I was in the edge of my seat reading this, I wanted to cry so hard and at the same time I didn't know who to believe and then I wanted to go and smack those doctors so hard it's not even funny.  Man, this book messed with my feelings so much, not cool, not cool at all.  

Well, after all that ranting, let me tell you a little what the book is all about it.  We follow Maddie and Tilly, her six year old daughter.  Maddie is recently divorced and Tilly and her tiny little six year old who has always had a hard time with food and for the last year she has gotten worse.  She eats less and less, she now is vomiting non stop when she eats and she has collapsed.  She knows there is something medically wrong with her daughter and she will not stop at anything to get to the bottom of it.

But her ex husband and best friend Laura think that Maddie is being overprotective, and think that Tilly is just fussy about her eating.  And because of both sides conflicting things go so wrongly wrong before they can go to the bottom of things.  And both Maddie and Tilly have to suffer the consequences of everyone not believing them.

Bottom line, never underestimate a mother's word...this story was so well written and it been a mother it touched me hard and I hope this really doesn't happen that often in real life.

5 of 5 stars for this wonderful written book.

XOXO,

Nelia

No comments:

Post a Comment