Pages

Friday, November 8, 2019

Book Review: The Witch of the Hills by J M Fraser



Alright, time to review a witchy book, one that I read in October, because it was Halloween month and it was all about reading books about witches and scary things, right? Right...let's do this.

The Witch of the Hills by J. M. Fraser

39507839Ancient prophecy compels a young Salem witch to travel through the time-bending dimension we all visit when we sleep. Rebecca Church must recruit a modern-day boy to save this interactive fantasy world from imminent disaster, but her task won't be easy. She may use no more than poetry, illusions, and dreams to convince the chosen one of his destiny, and she can visit him only nine brief times.

When Brian Danahey meets Rebecca at the side of a desolate road, he recognizes her from a recurring nightmare about a girl in great danger. Brian falls in love with her, she disappears, and he comes to believe she's the legendary Witch of the Hills, a colonial maiden exiled to haunt the western prairies for centuries. The quest to free Rebecca takes him through mirrors and time from the sand hills of contemporary Nebraska to the seventeenth-century witch haven she once called home.

But Rebecca doesn't need saving and certainly not three-hundred-plus years ago. The magical dimension that nourishes our souls is on the brink of apocalypse. Today.







*******************************************


This book had a lot of potential, it really did.  I mean, time travel, witches, magic, romance?  It had it all the things that I love in a book, but for me it had something missing and the romance just wasn't there for me.  I'm all about love at first sight but the love between Rebecca and Brian?  It just felt off, it felt too pushy, he met Rebecca once and boom he couldn't forget her at all and the next time they met they were all about making plans for the future and talking about an ancient prophecy.  And once he finds out she's a witch?  He's totally okay with it.  

I'm not going to lie, there were somethings that I liked about the book, for example, I really liked his sister, she was the best character of the book in my opinion, yeah and she wasn't in the book that much lol.  Would I recommend this book?  Yeah, if you like a really, really quick romance, then yes totally read it.

I still gave the book a 3 out of 5 stars.

I got a free copy of the book from NetGalley.

XOXO,

Nelia

No comments:

Post a Comment