Pages

Monday, December 30, 2019

Book Review: The Dragon Republic by R. F. Kuang

Wow, let's talk a little about high fantasy books, not my favorite genre of books to read but once in a while I read a book and I really enjoy and then it becomes a series and then I'm stuck in reading the whole series.  And no, it's not because I'm mandatory to read the whole series, it's because I NEED too, once I start I just cannot stop, I'm too deep with the characters, somethings not with the main one but others, as you will see.  But I just need to find out what's going to happen and God forbid if the author kills my favorite character, then MAYBE, MAYBE I'll NOT read the rest of the series.  Or maybe I will and see who else is going to die.  See what I mean, too committed. These authors are mean...just mean.  Okay, now I'm ready for the review...let's do this.


The Dragon Republic by R. F. Kuang


41118857. sy475




In the aftermath of the Third Poppy War, shaman and warrior Rin is on the run: haunted by the atrocity she committed to end the war, addicted to opium, and hiding from the murderous commands of her vengeful god, the fiery Phoenix. Her only reason for living is to get revenge on the traitorous Empress who sold out Nikan to their enemies.

With no other options, Rin joins forces with the powerful Dragon Warlord, who has a plan to conquer Nikan, unseat the Empress, and create a new Republic. Rin throws herself into his war. After all, making war is all she knows how to do.

But the Empress is a more powerful foe than she appears, and the Dragon Warlord’s motivations are not as democratic as they seem. The more Rin learns, the more she fears her love for Nikan will drive her away from every ally and lead her to rely more and more on the Phoenix’s deadly power. Because there is nothing she won’t sacrifice for her country and her vengeance.









-----------------------------------------------------------

After reading The Poppy War I really couldn't wait to read this book, but man I wasn't expecting this whole mess of a book.  That's all I can call it.  Do I still like it? Heck yes I did.  First of all, that magic system in this world is nothing like we have ever seem and it keeps getting better, last book the magic blew my mind, but in this one?  It was another level, we got to see a lot more of it and a lot more different magic for sure.  I freaking love it.

And one of the other things that keeps bringing me back to this world is the war and fighting scenes.  No, I don't like war in real life, 100% against it, wish it didn't exist!!! But in this book and world, man, the way they plan it and discuss it? And the whole thing happening, it keeps me in the edge of my seat, literally jumping.  I for sure would not know who to even start writing something like that...so well written.

World building, that's another well written part in this book, every time the characters are moving from one place to another the descriptions are amazingly written, I always feel like I can image how everything is, even the broken down places and ruins.  SO good.

Characters, I really think Kuang does an amazing job with her characters, so much so that I have fallen in love not with Rin but others.  Is it bad that I felt like she was driving me crazy in this book, for most part she was only thinking of herself first than anyone else or anything else and what the heck, that drove me crazy.  Where is the Rin from the first book, the one I fell in love with?  I wanted that little girl that fought and fought to be on top and fight for everyone else.  She was lost in this book and I sure hope she finds herself in the next one.  And that she realizes there are others that cares about her and she needs to care for them too.

Alright, I'm not giving anything away, why?  Because this is the second book of a fantasy series and you need to read the first book, first of all and second when it comes to fantasy you really can't ruin and book, you need to dive in and just discover it all yourself.


4 out of 5 stars.

XOXO,

Nelia

No comments:

Post a Comment