Pages

Thursday, March 19, 2020

Book Review: Nineteen by Makenzie Campbell

Poetry, how do you feel about it?  I love old poetry but I also have found some new poetry that I have fell in love with.  But, there are times that I come across some that are...well let's get to it.


Nineteen by Makenzie Campbell


50162787. sx318 sy475

By the author of the wildly successful 2am Thoughts, comes Nineteen — titled after the poet's age when she wrote this new book. Nineteen is a collection of poetry that broaches heartbreak, love, loss, war,
peace, and healing.

For every place we go, there is a feeling or memory that’s been painted on the walls. You can paint over it, but it will always be there. Even if you can’t
see it, you know.

You can feel the heartbreak inside the bedroom where you lost a love.

You can feel the hope at the coffee shop where a beginning happened.

You can feel the healing as you sit in the driver’s seat, in charge of your own life.
 












--------------------------

When I read a poetry book I want to get lost inside of it, I want it to touch my soul, I want it to touch my feelings, I want to make me feel things that I didn't even know I had inside of me.  For me that's what a good poetry book does.  

Unfortunately Nineteen fell short on that, it had a good promise.  It has good art inside to go together with the poems, the poems are suppose to reflect on events and that should bring feelings or memories just from certain places.  But I couldn't connect with the poems, the way it was written...

I still liked a couple of the poems inside of them and would love to check out her other work and see how I feel about.

3 out of 5 stars for this one.

I got an ARC from Netgalley.

XOXO,

Nelia

No comments:

Post a Comment