Pages

Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Book Review: Every Note Played by Lisa Genova

I got this book from Netgalley, it had been a while since I had been there and was browsing the new books section and came across this one, read the synopsis and loved it.  I had never read anything by Lisa Genova before, yes I know, you are going to tell me that I'm not okay, right?  Right.  After I got my copy sent to me, I add this book to my To Be Read list on my GoodReads and looked up her other books, and that's when I came across her other others, especially Still Alice.  I still haven't read Still Alice or watched the movie for that matter, I read what Still Alice is about and heck yes I want to read, more now after I finished reading Every Note Played.  Her writing is...you know what?  Let's get to today's blog post and review this book first and then we'll talk about Lisa and her writing and everything:

Every Note Played by Lisa Genova

36082326

Richard is an accomplished concert pianist, he has gone around the world to play and has received lots of standing ovations.  He is an amazing pianist and he knows it, he also knows that is best asset is his hands and he takes care of them a lot.  He also spends most of his day practicing on the piano because to him to be this amazing and know how to play this well you have to keep practicing, practicing is everything.  But everything has changed for Richard, he now has ALS and the first thing he lost was his entire right arm, the whole arm, including his hand and fingers is paralyzed.  This first loss is like a death, a loss of true love.  He is in denial first, he goes and sees all the medical doctors and all the ALS medical team that he needs to see, but it all goes in one ear and out the other.  He knows the next thing to go will be his left arm and he can't even imagine how that will be like.

Then there is Karina, Karina is Richard's ex wife.  They have been divorced for three years, she tells herself that she is ready to move on, but the truth is, she hasn't moved on.  She is always finding excuses and she is afraid to go after her dream, so she's stuck been a piano teacher and blaming Richard for their failed marriage and all of it. 

But when Richard becomes paralyzed and is longer able to live on his own, Karina becomes his caretaker.  As Richard's muscles, voice and breath fade, both he and Karina try to find a way to reconcile their past and find a way to forgiveness. 

One of the things that I loved about this book is that is told on both Richard and Karina's POV; to get to know what each of them are going through and what happened to them in the past and the reasons that got them to where they are now.  Getting to know both POVs and know what Richard is feeling as to what he's going through is so inspiring and heart breaking at the same time, I cried and believe me it was multiple times.  And yes there were times that I also got mad at him, why?  Because, Richard was been brutally honest and for the first time in his life he realized that he did screw up a lot with his wife and daughter and we got to read about it.  Don't think I also didn't get upset a Karina, yes I could totally understand her from the beginning but the more she opened up and the more honest she became we also got to see that she was at fault too.  But I really think the main focus of the book was the ALS and how quick it can change someone's life, either you want it or not.  And it will not only change the person going through it but also the caregiver and the family members too.  It's heartbreaking and emotionally draining to just read a little about it, I give so much respect for all the medical team that are involved with those patients, also to  all the families going through it, the caregivers and my heart goes out to all the patients. 

Lisa Genova did such an amazing job writing this book, the story was inspiring, it touched the subject on such a respected way.  Her writing is amazing, once you start reading you just cannot stop, the book becomes a page turner.  Bow down to her...

Finally I only have to give this book 5 out of 5 stars and recommend it a million times.  Please, please read it and recommend it.

XOXO,

Nelia

No comments:

Post a Comment