Pages

Thursday, December 29, 2016

Book Review: Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys

I'm only going to start his post by saying that you should all read this book and give it a chance, even if you don't or do like WWII books or movies, I'm sure you will find something to like about this book.  And now I'm just going to get to this book review:

Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys


25614492

Winter, 1945.  Four teenagers.  Four secrets.

Each one born of a different homeland; each one hunted, and haunted, by tragedy, lies...and war.

As thousands of desperate refugees flock to the coast in the midst of a Soviet advance, four paths converge, vying for passage aboard the Wilhelm Gustloff, a ship that promises safety and freedom.

Yet not all promises can be kept.


This book, OMG, I don't even know where to start...Ok, so the book is told by four different POV, FOUR.  When I first read that, I wasn't sure I was going to like, because let's be honest, four different people point of views?  That's crazy to keep up with, but once I started reading?  Ruta Sepetys is a freaking amazing author, that's all I'm going to say to that, her writing just captivated me from the first page me and I just could put it down and was it hard to keep track?  Heck no, it was actually really easy and you start to fall for all of them and cheer for them or hate them or cry for them or want to hit them or...you just have lots and lots of feelings reading this book, and that's putting it light.

Back on track of the review, so we get four teenagers during WWII and they are all from different places and somehow end up crossing paths, but they are all on a different time on their lives and they all want something different too, and let's not forget that they are all keeping a secret.  But somehow, they end up together and end up creating a friendship even though they don't want (well at least three of them), the fourth one ends up helping them most of the way but he is someone totally different from them and you get to see it at the end of the book.

While aboard the Wilhelm Gustloff, their secrets start come to light and while they don't know what to do it them, they are faced with something way more dangerous and have to rely on each other to survive.  And...I can't say anything else because you just have to read the book to find out all about it or I will spoil the book and I don't want to do that.  But trust me be prepared for friendships, love, heartache and be prepared to cry, but there is a happy ending too.

My rating?  5 out of 5 stars, once I finished this book, I kept thinking about it days later and until this day I still think about it, that's how good it was, I totally, totally recommend it.

XOXO,


Nelia

No comments:

Post a Comment