Pages

Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Book Review: The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh

Oh, I'm sooo excited to review this next book, I had heard lots of good things about it and I went into it not expecting much because usually that's how I like to go into books that have been getting lots of hype.  But this one?  It totally blew my mind, I loved it so much that I went out and bought the physical copy of it and the second book too!!!!

Okay, let's get to the review:

The Wrath and The Dawn by Renee Ahdieh

Image result for the wrath and the dawn amazon

In a land ruled by a murderous boy-king, each dawn brings a heartache to a new family.  Khalid, the eighteen-year old Caliph of Khorasan, is a monster.  Each night he takes a new bride only to have a silk cord wrapped around her throat come morning.

When sixteen-year-old Shahrzad's dearest friend falls victim to Khalid, Shahrzad vows vengeance and volunteers to be his next bride.  Shahrzad is determined not only to stay alive, but to end the caliph's reign of terror once and for all.

Night after night, Shahrzad beguiles Khalid, weaving stories that enchant, ensuring her survival, though she knows each dawn could be her last.  But something she never expected begins to happen: Khalid is nothing like what she'd imagined him to be.  This monster is a boy with a tormented heart.  Incredibly, Shahrzad finds herself falling in love.  How is this possible?  It's a unforgivable betrayal.  Still, Shahrzad has come to understand all is not as it seems in this palace of marble and stone.  She resolves to uncover whatever secrets lurk and, despite her love, be ready to take Khalid's life as retribution for the many lives he's stolen.  Can their love survive this world of stories and secrets?

So, this book is based on the A Thousand and One Nights and that is one of the things that intrigued me but once I started reading what intrigued me more was Renee's writing style.  She writes beautifully and knows how to make you love these characters and she just knows how to describe a world where you actually can visualize and want to live in.  And the characters?  Oh boy, can she describe them and make you love them so much.

Shahrzard...WOW,  She is everything you want in a main character and more.  She takes risks that not even me would, that's for sure. She fights for her family and friends and she believes that she can change even the most hated man in her country.  Every time she was togethe rwith Khalid my heart would be jumping because I never knew what would come out of it, would he try to kill her?  Would he give him to her? Suspense, my friends, always suspense with these two.

Khalid, monster?  Cold heart murder?  Or is there something else?  Just let your heart open for him, trust me and you will not regret.  Maybe I do have something for bad boys, because I was rooting for Khalid since the beginning, I knew that his previous wives died but I also knew there was something else behind it.  And was I right?  You just have to read it to find out.  But I have to say that I really fell in love with his character, yes it may take you a little bit of time but give him a chance. :)

Side characters?   There are quite a few, but I'm not going to mention them because I feel that it will ruin the book, so get into to the blind as I did and find out for yourself and see if you like her maid, or Khalid's cousin, or Shahrzard's childhood friend.  These are some of the characters we were introduced.  And they do play a huge part in the books.

My rating?  5 out of 5 stars of course, I loved, loved this book.  I don't re read books, but this one would be one of the few that I would re read for sure :)

XOXO,

Nelia

No comments:

Post a Comment