Pages

Thursday, October 27, 2016

Book Review: The Traitor Baru Cormorant

2016 for sure has been the year that I have read so many books out of my comfort zone, usually I read YA books and lots and lots of it and I love YA books and I could spend the rest of my life reading them and never getting tired of them.  But this year I promised myself to expand my reading list and read a few books out of my comfort zone and I did it, I'm really proud of myself (pats herself on the back lol).  I've read some thrillers, classic books and stuff like that.  And a book that was definitely out of my comfort zone was the one that I'm going to review today, it's Fantasy, Fiction, SciFi, Adult and even GLBT and Holly Molly I just noticed that's a lot of genres in one book lol.  Okay, I'm going to stop babbling and get to the book.

The Traitor Baru Cormorant

25600228

Baru Cormorant will pay any price to liberate her world-even if it makes her a monster.  The Empire of Masks conquers Baru's island home when she is a little girl murdering one of her fathers' in the process and Baru makes a vow; she will never be powerless again.  She'll swallow her hate, join the Empire's civil service, and claw her way high enough to set her people free.

But the Masquerade is suspicious of Baru's loyalty so what do they do?  They exile her to an accountant's post in distant Aurdwynn, a snakepit of informants and seditious dukes.  Targeted by death by the uncomfortably intriguing rebel duchess Tain Hu, Barus fears a more intimate disaster-if her colleagues discover her homosexuality, she'll be failed and mutilated.

But Baru is more than we ever think she is, she is full of games and ruthless enough to make herself sick.  She is only armed with ink (as an accountant), lies (more than you can ever image, trust me) and one sneaky loyal secretary (I still don't know how I feel about him AT ALL), Baru arranges a sweeping power play a win or die double cross gambit with empire as the prize.  If she survives it she will save her home but the cost bill be...but will she be fool enough to fall in love?  Will she trust people that she shouldn't?  Who will she betray?

This book?  OMG, I thought I knew where it was going but Seth Dickison, he destroyed me with the ending of this book and I when I was done I had so many questions and feelings.  I hadn't read a book with an ending like that...probably ever.  I killed me and I loved it; I shouldn't love it but I did.  4.5 out of 5 because that end killed me and I need the next book now.  I heard that Seth Dickison is working on the second book and I will be buying it right, right away.

XOXO,

Nelia



No comments:

Post a Comment