Pages

Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Book Review: An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir

Ok, this book was a surprise for me and it shouldn't have been, right?  I kept hearing nothing but amazing things about it, but sometimes I'm afraid to read a new release that is getting so much hype because I'm not sure if it is going to be that good.  Oh, but this one didn't disappointed me at all...let's get to it:


An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir

22529162

Laia and Elias, both under the Martial Empire, both very different people on very different positions.  Laia is a slave and Elias is a soldier.  Everyone vow their blood and bodies to the Emperor and if they don't?  They risk the execution of their loved ones and the destruction of all they hold dear.

The Martial Empire is a cruel world and no one who lives in it challenges it, Laia's brother is arrested for treason and her grandparents are murdered in front of her and she is forced to make a decision.  She goes to the rebels for help, but in order for them to help her she has to spy for them within the Empire's greatest military academy.

While there, Laia meets Elias, the school's finest soldier, but what she doesn't know is that Elias only wants to be free of the life that he is forced to be in it.  Soon, Laia and Elias realize that their destinies are intertwined and that their choices will change the fate of the Empire itself, forever.

This book had lots of hype and when I started reading I really didn't think it was going to be something that I was going to enjoy it, but Oh Man, was I wrong.  Sabaa Tahir's writing captivated me right away and the way this book was written?  It was unique and while I thought it was going to throw me off, it actually grabbed me more.  Once I was done reading the book I wanted more and that's the only truth.  Laia was a bit slow and I really thought she was going to get caught lots of times and that stressed the crap out of me, but her courage and her way to never gave up made me love her character by the end of this book.  Elias, he had me front the first line, he was against the Empire from the beginning and you could see how even though he had to follow rules, he hated it too.  I love him and when he went out of his way to help Laia at the end, I loved him even more, he is such a freaking amazing character.

The end of the book left you wanting more and I knew we were getting the second book so that didn't freaked me out too much when it ended and even though the second one is out and I haven't read it yet, I can say that I already bought it and cannot wait to start it :) Soon, very, very soon :)

I gave 4.25 stars out of 5, I wanted more character and world building in the book and I  sure hope we will get it in the next one and I hope we get to see more of the side characters too.

XOXO,

Nelia

No comments:

Post a Comment