Pages

Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Book Review :Graphic Novels: Part 6

Yeah, it's time again to review some more Graphic Novels.  I'm really venturing into this Graphic Novel world and I gotta say I'm really enjoying some of them a lot.  Here are the most recent ones that I have read and loved or didn't loved so much :)

1. Through the Woods by Emily Carroll

Image result for through the woods emily carroll amazon

5 short stories that take place in the woods, creepy and mysterious and "scary" stories.  I thought I would like this book a lot more than I did, but I got disappointed.  And therefore I only gave this one 2.5 stars.

2. The Walking Dead-Days Vol 1 Gone Bye by Robert Kirkman, Charlie Adlard

Image result for the walking dead volume 1 amazon

Yes, I started this series and no I do not watch the show.  And I think I will continue with this series before I watch the show, I have heard that the books are mostly different from the show and I read this first Volume and liked a lot so I don't want to ruin that so...Getting back to the book, I'm pretty sure everybody knows what it is about but the world is pretty much gone, there is an epidemic of some kind that causes the dead to rise and feed on the living (zombies).  And there is a group of people that is trying to survive but even those trying to survive have problems among themselves and fighting among themselves while fighting the zombies are something "interesting" to accomplish.  This is where the story is starting and the end was pretty harsh and I cannot wait to see what it will mean in the next Volume.

3. The Sculptor by Scott McCloud

Image result for the sculptor by scott mccloud amazon

This Graphic Novel was nothing what I was thinking and it actually surprised me quite a bit, it actually brought me on a ride for sure. There were times I was enjoying the book and other times I just wanted to shut it down, AH, overall it was a nice read.  The story falls this sculptor who gives up his life for his art and now he only has 200 days left to live but he also has the ability to sculpt anything he can imagine with his bare hands.  At the beginning he doesn't know what to make of it, things aren't working out, but then it does and while things are going good he also finds the love of his life.  Where will this all go?  Well, read it for yourself to find out, because it sure is a ride.


4. The Stonekeeper (Amulet #1) by Kazu Kibuishi

Image result for the stonekeeper amazon

Amulet Volume 1, I think all the volumes are out on this Graphic Novel so it was time to pick it up.  This GN follows the story of Emily and Navin after the trafic death of their father and moving to a strange house that proved to be dangerous.  Right after moving in a creature lures the kid's mom through a door in the basement, not wanting to lose their mom they follow up into the underground world that is inhabited by demons, robots and talking animals.

Eventually they get the help of a small mechanical rabbit called Miskit and together they have the scariest monster of all and Em finally has the change to save someone she loves.  But the adventure is not over yet as Em starts to realize that one of the decisions that she made maybe was what she really thought it would it would be.  But she still has and needs the help of Miskit to save someone she loves.  Will they be able?  I have to read the next Volume, that's for sure.

This Graphic Novel is looking promising, it didn't blow me away right away but by the end it got me engaged more and more and I definitely want more and will be picking up the next one for sure.  I ended up giving 4 out of 5 stars, the art is pretty amazing and the story line is getting more interesting.  Can't wait.


5. The Walking Dead Vol 2-Miles Behind Us by Robert Kirkman, Charlie Adlard

Image result for the walking dead volume 1 amazon

SPOILERS:

Volume 2 and after what happened at he end of Volume 1, I couldn't wait to see what was going one and It was pretty interesting.  I never thought that Lori would have taken it that hard but then again...Rick has finally got everybody on the move and while on the road they find a few more people.  At first I wasn't so sure about these new people but I like them now, I really do, well there is one that I'm not so sure but we will see.  They find a place and they think they have finally find a place to settle and form a community but after only been there a night they find out that they place is full of zombies and they live by a thread and by losing one of their own.
While they are looking for food or a place something happens to Carl and end up at a farm where a few more people live there. At the farm they finally have something going for them, there is plenty of food going around for everybody, a warm place to sleep (well at least for some of them as most of them are still sleeping in the RV).   Until tragedy strikes again and the owner of the farm loses some people close to him and when Rick wants to move some of the people to the house the owner loses and kicks everybody out.  Glen ends up staying behind as he formed a relationship with the owners daughter and wants to stay.

They are on the move again and once they have ran out of the gas and food, they start to look for food or a place to crash and the book ends when they actually find a place they think they can make it their own...it's actually still full of zombies but after they take them out, they can move in and be secured inside as it is fenced in and everything.

I really liked this Volume, it was full of action and a lot more of story lines, I ended up giving 5 out of 5 stars and I cannot wait to read the next one.


6. The Stonekeeper's Curse (Amulet #2) by Kazu Kibuishi

Image result for the stonekeeper's curse amazon

Volume 2 in the Amulet series,  Emily and her brother Navin are heading for Kanalis, a mysterious city where they hope to find the antidote for the poison the felled their mother.  But once they got there, they find out that the antidote is atop the Demon's Head Mountain, not only do they have to travel to get the antidote but they also find out that Trellis is also headed that way too.  A battle that will engulf all of Kanalis is looking and it's up to Em to decide to wining the battle while controlling the amulet's power or lose herself to it's power.

This volume was even better than the first one, I loved getting to know the new characters that were introduced and Em is so much stronger in this volume, she really grew up in a short period of time.  We got to see the evil that she is fighting against and got to know Trellis a little more.  I cannot wait to see what Volume 3 brings, I really, really enjoyed this Volume and ended up giving 5 out of 5 stars.

7.The Cloud Searchers (Amulet #3) by Kazu Kibuishi

Image result for the cloud searchers amazon

Volume 3 in the Amulet series and Emily and her crew are looking for the city in the clouds.  The city of the stonekeepers but also a city that no one believes that exists anymore; but they do end up finding a pilot who does believe that he once saw the city and he joins the crew in the search for the lost city of Cielis.  Also, Emily and her crew acquire some unusual companions right before leaving for the search of Cielis...some people that she would have thought enemies but in this volume they proof to be more allies than anything.  The Elf King also acquires a new assassin to complete the mission to kill Emily and he gave me the creeps, and hopefully he will be a good addition to the story and will not cause "too" much trouble.  We got to see him in action but just for a little bit and I have a feeling that we will see more of him again.

Overall, I really enjoyed this volume again, the art is still amazing and the writing great too.  Can't wait to read the next Volume as the end of this one left you craving for more that's for sure.  5 out of 5 stars.


I'm really enjoying reading The Walking Dead series and the Amulet series too but with the year almost ending and my TBR list getting bigger and bigger by the minute, I don't know if I'm going to have the chance to finish them this year.  I still have lots of books that I really want to read this year so...I don't know what I'm going to do about my Graphic Novels that I want to read. AH this is so crazy, decisions, decisions.

Are you freaking out too about your TBR?  What are your goals for the year end?

And what other Graphic Novels do you recommend?

XOXO,

Nelia







No comments:

Post a Comment