Pages

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Book Review: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Ah The Book Thief, this book gave me so many feelings and when I was reading the only thing that kept popping into my head was: Why hadn't I read this one sooner? It was an amazing read, one that kept me up because I couldn't put this book down...but let me stop right here and get to the review:

The Book Review by Markus Zusak


The story is told by a total different perspective that we usually are used to, it's told by death's perspective and at first I didn't think I was going to like it because of it but right after the first Chapter I was hooked and wanted more.  Why?  Because it was beautifully written, that's why.

So, let's get back to the book, Death is telling the story and the story is about an era that we all know about because we learn it at school; World War 2.  And right from the beginning we see our main character;  Liesel Meminger.  Liesel is a foster girl and she lives just outside of Munich.  At first she isn't too sure about her foster Mom and Dad, you see her trip to her foster family didn't start off that well, her little brother who was suppose to be fostered with her died on the way and that really hurts her even though you will learn that Liesel hides her emotions really well.  But as the months and years go by, Liesel learns to like her foster Mom and really love her foster Dad who goes out of his way to make her feel at home.

One of the things that Liesel can't control and tries to hide but ends up getting caught by her Dad is stealing books.  She has this little passion of wanting to learn how to read better and loving to hear stories.  Her foster Dad who isn't that great of a reader himself, sets up a learning space for Liesel and both of them get reading lessons and improve their reading; increasing her passion for reading more.

It is during bombing raids that Liesel gets to share with her neighbors her love for reading; right at the first bombing raid when everyone is scared Liesel starts to read out of one of books making everyone around her calm and from therefore all her neighbors expect Liesel to bring a book to the raids and read and that she does.

Another secret that Liesel is hidding a Jewish man in her basement.  You would never thought that Liesel's family would hide a Jew but that all is because of her father's past, things are exactly what they are.  Liesel takes a liking to the Jewish man and she does everything to make sure no one knows that he is hiding at her basement, but life happens and then one day he needs to move out of their house and that devastates Liesel.

Liesel takes it to reading and writing down in the basement where her friend used to be, the basement becomes a comforting place for Liesel and because of it, she is there when the worst bombing in her street happens changing her life forever.  That's all I'm going to say about the bombing as I don't want to spoil the book and what happens to Liesel during the bombing and after that also.  But, one thing that I will say be prepared to cry, because OMG did I cry, this book really broke my heart.

Do I recommend it?  Heck YES, I gave this book 5 stars and would give it more, a lot more.  I loved, loved the writing, Markus Zusack I give you a bow, this book was amazing.  This book is going down on my favorite books list for sure.  I did watch the movie, a few weeks later as I needed my heart to slow down a bit lol, and the movie was good too but there were so many things that didn't make it into the movie that I thought it was so major in the book.  But, am I surprised?  No, that's how most book to movie adaptions are and will always be, right?

So, to finish this really long review, I just have one more thing to say; if you haven't read this book, please do me and yourself a favor and go read it.

XOXO,

Nelia

No comments:

Post a Comment