Pages

Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Book Review: Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

Time for another Book Review and today I'm bringing you a Classic, I enjoy reading classics but I have been really lost on reading YA for the last few years and hadn't picked up a classic for a while so the end of 2015 I knew that I had to read a classic as I had promised myself to read at least one a year and I hadn't yet.  So, the choice was made and I picked up:

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

1889574

I have heard so many great things about this book and I couldn't believe that I hadn't read it yet, so I was ready for it, even though it was a pretty big book, I was determined to read it before the year was over and I did!  Let's get to the review:

This book follows four sisters; Meg, Amy, bet and the our main protagonist Jo.  The book follows their lives, the ups and downs as they are growing up with their mom while their father is away at war.  They are a poor family but rich in love and character and you see that in their daily lives.

The family lives in Massachusetts (where I am from eheheh) and let's not forget that this story is set in the 1800s and the culture is a lot different from what it is now, but what never changes is the love of a family, especially sisters' friendships.  And oh do we get do see how these sisters get along, and fight and get along again, I loved that perspective of the book, I personally have sisters and was so good so read a book about sister relationships.

Another relationship that I really enjoyed reading was Jo friendship with her neighbor, who was a boy, friendships should always be appreciated and Jo was always an amazing friend and that relationship?  She really appreciated and made some really tough decisions.

Boys and marriages?  Oh well, things have changed throughout the years and centuries, haven't they?  Love stories will always be love stories, but wow, things are definitely not the same as they were back then and I'm so glad they are not and I will leave it at that.

And talking about things that have totally changed?  How about Jo wanting to write books and stories in the paper?  She wouldn't have that much trouble now, would she?  But back then, things certainly were different and I really enjoyed reading about that in the book.

I'm not going to lie, it book me a little bit of time to read this book, you can say that I was a slow read for me, for the first half at least but then it picked up and I started to enjoy more and more and love those characters more and more also.

I ended up giving this book 4 out of 5 stars.  I loved the characters, Jo and Beth been my favorite for sure.  The writing was what probably took me a little bit to time to read, it was different and slowed me down a little, the setting?  I live in Massachusetts and I just could not picture anything that was describe, so that was a let down.  But other than that I really enjoyed the story and the characters and I would still recommend it.

I did watch the movie and I enjoyed it too, it was a little different from the book as movies tend to be; but I got engaged watching it and I got my kids to watch it me which was a plus.

XOXO,

Nelia

No comments:

Post a Comment