Pages

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Book Review: FanGirl by Rainbow Rowell

It's Book Review Tuesday and it's time to review another book and I'm just going to jump right in on this one, because I don't want to talk too much about it now, I'll all the rambling for the end.

FanGirl by Rainbow Rowell



Cath and Wren are twin sisters and they are starting college.  Cath is our main character and she is having a hard time with this new chapter in her life.  Okay, just starting college is huge, but they are going away for college for starters and Wren has informed Cath that she doesn't want to be roommates.  What?  What is the point of been twins?  Wren is convinced that she wants to experience this college journey on her own and that Cath should do the same.  So now, Cath is away from home with a roommate that she has not a clue what she will be like.  And did I mentioned that Cath is a Simon Snow fan?  And that she writes fan fiction?  Wren used to love Simon Snow too, but she has mostly grown away from fandom, but Cath?  She cannot let go and she doesn't want to.

When Cath first gets to college, she doesn't think she can't make it.  First there is her roommate, she is not bad, she is very friendly and she has a very HOT boyfriend who is ALWAYS around.  Or is he her boyfriend?

Then her fiction-writing professor thinks fan fiction is the end of civilized world, and tells her that she shouldn't be doing.  Seriously?  Doesn't she know how many people follow/read her stories?

Also, there is a very handsome classmate who only wants to talk to her about words and wants to write stories with her?  It's okay, right?  Or not?

Her sister is acting weird by the minute, should she worry about it or just ignore her?  It does look like Wren is the one who is enjoying the college life the right way, right? 

And then there is her father, she cannot stop worrying about him.  He is left behind all alone, and he is never been alone, alone before.  And he can be fragile at times.  Is she reading too much into this?

Cath is left facing a lot of decisions on her own for the very first time in her life and the big question is: Can she do it?  And can she do it on her own, without asking for anyone's help and not having to hold someone else's hand?

You will find out all the answers to these questions throughout the book.  It was a really nice read,  I had read a lot about this book before reading it, so my expectations were...really high and this may get some people mad but I was disappointed a little bit.  I was expecting more, I don't know WHAT exactly, but more.  First of all, it took me a while to read this book, I actually read books in between reading FanGirl.  I put it down a couple times and started reading other books, until there was a weekend when I didn't have anything planned and I just sat outside and finished reading it, because I just wanted to finished with it. 

I gave it a 3.75 stars out of 5, it was pleasant, I really liked the romance actually, the family issues was interesting and I wish there were more of it instead of the little bits of the Simon Snow pages.  I did enjoy Rainbow Rowell writing style; this the first book I have read from her, so I can't wait to read another book by her and see if I like it.   Have you read FanGirl?  What did you think of it?  If you haven't read, I do recommend it but I wouldn't say for you to drop everything that you are reading right now and read this one right away.  But do read when you have a chance and let me know what you think.

XOXO,

Nelia


No comments:

Post a Comment