Pages

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Book Review: The DUFF by Kody Keplinger

It's another Book Review time, still have quite a few books to do reviews so two reviews this week.  After reading TFIOS I was in a reading slump for a while and I knew that I needed a quick and funny book to get me out of it and when NetGalley had The DUFF for auto approval there I knew I had to get it so...I grab it and started reading right away:

The DUFF by Kody Keplinger


This book follows 17 year old Bianca who is doesn't think she is the pretty among her friends and she is ok with that, she is the responsible one, the one that knows when to tell them to stop if they have gone a little to far.  She is also the smart one, she spends her time studying while her friends like to spend their time partying and looking pretty.  But she wouldn't trade their friendship for nothing, they would do anything for each other.  One day the man-slut of the school goes up to Bianca and starts talking to her, she hates him and doesn't understand why he would even bother talking to her, but hen Wesley explains to Bianca that he needs to plan nice to her because she is the DUFF of her friends, the Designated Ugly Fat Friend and when she throws her coke at him he nicknames her the Duffy.

Things at home are not so great either and because of that Bianca starts doing things that is not usual for her, first of all she kisses Wesley one day and she likes it.  And he ends up liking it and both of them end up in a enemies with benefits relationship, one where no one knows about it. At first, she thinks everything is under control, but when she starts realizing that Wesley is not such a bad guy and that she is falling for him she not so sure about anything anymore.

Well, it sure was a quick read, I gave it a 3 out of 5 stars.  Why?  Well, at the beginning she talked about the importance of friendship and somewhere she kind of ignored them.  Also, her relationship with her dad?  I don't want to spoil anything, but I just wasn't okay with it, it's a tough subject.  Her mother, not very motherly, that's all I'm going to say, and she just forgives her so quickly?

Wesley, I think I liked him more than I liked Bianca.  At least he was more honest with her than she was with him.  I felt bad for him, you really get to know why he acts the way he does.

It's a good book for teenagers and adults too, this book teaches you that just because people look one way in the outside doesn't mean that's what they are on the inside.  Life is not always is what it seems.  That's what I took from this book.

I want to thank NetGalley for the opportunity to read this book.

XOXO,

Nelia

No comments:

Post a Comment