Pages

Thursday, December 4, 2014

Book Review: In the Afterlight by Alexandra Bracken + Novellas

I finished, I finished, I finished reading In The Afterlight and OMG I am so ready to do this book review.  But first I am going to start with the 2 Novellas that I have also finished reading:

In Time by Alexandra Bracken


I am so glad, Alexandra Bracken wrote this novella, on In Time you get to find out what happens to Zu, but it's told by her.  Actually the main character isn't someone that we know; his name is Gabriel (Gabe) and his life is pretty miserable, no money, no job.  With whatever money he has left he buys an old truck and leaves his little city to become a skip tracer.  I know that sounds horrible, but let's not jump to conclusions yet, like I did when I first started reading this book.  He does seem like an horrible person at the beginning as he tells you that he wants to catch one of the freaks (as he calls the kids) and take the money and move west and attend school and get a better job.  What he doesn't expect is when he has that one kid, his feelings totally change and instead of turning the kid in, he actually helps get her to California.  And that kid is Zu, lovely, sweet Zu.

I felt so attach to these characters, I already loved Zu, but Gabe, once you get to know him, you will just love him, which makes it that much harder to accept the end of this book.  No spoilers, you will just have to read, it's a very quick read but one that you will not regret reading.  I also loved the way Alexandra Bracken added in a couple more characters that you don't think you really should pay attention and then?  Well, you will go back and reread it again and again.

I gave the books a 5 out of 5 stars, I loved it, one of the best Novellas I have ever read.


Sparks Rise by Alexandra Bracken


Sparks Rise, what can I say about this Novella; I LOVE IT.  Sam is everything I thought she would be plus more.  And I am so glad we get to see a Red.  This novella was so amazing, Alexandra THANK YOU for writing this novella, my feelings were all over the place, I was anxious, nervous, happy, and freaking SAD.  The end, OMG...so not fair; that's all I am saying.

Seriously you need to read this novella, you will not regret it.  In this book you will get a love story and much more.   Can't really get to much into it unless I spoil it, so I'm going to stop.

In the Afterlight by Alexandra Bracken


After reading the 2 novellas before this book, my head and my feelings were not ready for more heartbreaking, but what did I do?  I dove right into this book as I needed answers.  I'm not going to lie, it was a little bit disappointing when I did get some of the answers that I was looking for, but this book had a enough to leave me hooked from the first chapter.

This book starts off with the rest of the Children's League trying to get away from LA and go to the ranch, and it is a crazy ride and some leading stuff that I didn't see it coming.  After getting to the ranch, we get to see that Cate is already there (I got so connected with this character in this book), but she is not happy when she finds out what Cole and Ruby did to the other Children's League adults, so she takes off to go find them and bring them back so they can figure out a plan.  But after she leaves, things get a little off hand.  Cole and Ruby take charge of the place and together with the other kids they start planning, planning to free the kids that are still at camp, and they start off with a small camp not far away from where they are.  From there they plan the big hit on a big camp.

I don't want to spoil too much, but I can say that Liam and Ruby's relationship gets a little...how can I say it; a little off, but they do find a way back.  Cole is just amazing, I loved him from the beginning and he didn't disappointed me at all in this book, and I am still not happy with what happened to him, WHY??? WHY??? So many tears...

Ruby is a roller coaster in this book, sometimes I felt like shaking her and tell her to wake up.  But there were other times that I got her and what she was feeling.  I guess I was a roller coaster too.  :)

Clancy, I don't know if I am happy with what happened to him in the end, I really just wished he had died, period.  He was still the manipulative son of a gun in this book as he was in the other ones.  I don't think I have ever hated a character as much as I hated him.  And he doesn't deserve me talking more about him...I'm done with him.

The end was really cool, I wish there was a little more detail to everything that happened, a little more information on some of the characters, well, I guess we always want a little more, right?  Especially on the last book of a series.

That's all I'm going to say about this book, it was amazing, a little slow at times, but lots of action at other times, dissapoitment, happiness, sadness, a little bit of everything I guess.

I'm giving a 4.5 out of 5 stars, I loved it but I really just had and have some questions that I wanted answers too.  I totally recommend this book, wait not just this book, but this series.



XOXO,

Nelia

No comments:

Post a Comment